[AR] Re: cubesat data rates question

  • From: JOHN HALPENNY <j.halpenny@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 19:11:31 -0800 (PST)

Have any of these satellites tried to pass data on to a phone network in order
to get results down without waiting for a pass?  Or is it:
- technically difficult?
- expensive?
- just not worth the trouble?

John

On Wednesday, November 27, 2013 8:34:05 PM, Henry Spencer
<henry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013, Ian Garcia wrote:
> The PlanetLabs guys are wondering if 250 Mb per pass of downlink rate
> is a record for Cubesats. Anybody here knows? Henry?

Don't know that anybody's been keeping score. :-)

Could be.  Certainly none of our current nanosats (most of them not really
cubesats) can send stuff that fast, although upgrades are in the works for
some of the more data-intensive missions now in the pipeline.