[AR] Re: arocket Digest V2 #163 - Just where does space start?

  • From: "Monroe L. King Jr." <monroe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 09:03:38 -0700

I'd like to point out the FAA is not in the business of world record
keeping. They of course approve all the US launches but they are not
collecting data for world record purposes. The Army/military are also
non participants in non military record keeping.

The FIA is the "Official" records keeping body.

Yeah the FAA recently took FPV (using a live camera on an aircraft for
flight beyond line of sight) privileges away in part due to some of our
high altitude flights.

We can still get a waiver to do these operations but now that is
required.

I acknowledge the RRS would be a good reason for the FAA to get involved
at least we can still get waivers for rocket flights.

We are now using ADS-B to assist in avoidance (I think it would be good
for all rocket launches these days) I also think passive radar will soon
be useful to us. Right now I'm waiting on the release of the "Airspy" a
interesting small SDR (software defined radio) USB dongle. It has a
provision for using a single time clock and the software is being
developed that will allow 4 of these to use terrestrial digital TV
transmissions as the source. I believe we are now very close to having
passive radar to add to our tools.

Monroe