[AR] Re: arocket Digest V2 #163 - Just where does space start?

  • From: "Monroe L. King Jr." <monroe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2014 07:18:19 -0700

Gar
 Yeah, I think part of the reason these launches are not "Official" may
be political.

 The variable geometry may now be solvable is my point. I've devised a
way to change the circumference of the duct all at once or end to end
with just 2 servos. There is a third servo that controls the position of
the nosecone in the duct.

 I was also thinking propane because it is self pressurized and I can
use an automotive fuel injector to control the fuel flow.

 The other thing I'm trying to devise is a method to use an automotive
O2 sensor in the exhaust to measure the rich/lean mixture and use the
microprocessor to control the geometry/fuel flow requirements. A
thermocouple may be enough.

 The reason for the sugar propellant is it is easy to use it for an end
burner to sustain combustion and that solves the grain bursting issue
with bates sugar propellant.

 One way to do augmentation is to run the rocket rich and use the
augmenter to combust the extra fuel but this varies with speed and
altitude. If you can control the combustion and not worry about the
rocket motor and it can work optimally.

 Anyway we are constructing a test stand and I intend to play with this
idea before we get into liquids.

 I intend to post my findings if for no other reason to help others as
there is not much about augmentation available to armatures. At the same
time I'm gonna play with a pulse jet using automotive pulsed fuel
injection of the right frequency and play with that some just for fun.
So I can get that out of my system I just wanna play with one.

 Cheers!

Monroe