[AR] Re: arocket Digest V2 #163 - Just where does space start?

  • From: snyder@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 07:42:11 -0600

 "I rarely speak, but when I do... it's generally useless"

I have to wade in on the 'Definition of Space' question:
The FCC defined a 'Space Station', in this case
radio station, as being anything above 50km.

This probably has the backing of the ITU, which is also the group
that give the equatorial countries the right to license
the Geostationary slots by claiming them all. It could be
argued that this definition might be the most internationally
recognized definition.

Personally I'm not sure I care, but it does raise the question
if these launches were breaking the law and therefor rogue, not
amateur.

-Gar.

PS. Monroe, I worked on a ducted rocket for a couple of years and
was not impressed. To make it work right, you need variable
geometry, and then it still is heavy.