[AR] Re: New Al Alloy

  • From: Keith Henson <hkeithhenson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:21:16 -0800

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 12:44 PM, George Herbert
<george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Extrusion plants aren't exactly cheap, Keith...

That's why the :-)

> And the mold design for closed forms (hollow tubing, etc) is nontrivial...

True. Spin casting is about all that would make sense for a small
production run.

> I am enamored of 5059 for welded structures, and some of the people here
> have used it.  I'm lusting after trying some friction stir welded + aged
> 7075-T4 -> T5.
>
> But for most of us those are fairly silly optimizations most of the time.

I don't seem to have it any more, but for years I carried around a
piece of aluminum sheet metal that I made by vapor deposition.

> I'm looking at this new alloy...

Heh. Every tried to turn a 6061 casting before heat treatment?  It
acts like chewing gum in the lathe. Wife had to put up with it baking
in the oven for a few hours before I could machine the casting.+

Keith