[AR] Re: New Al Alloy

  • From: Jonathan Goff <jongoff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:10:36 -0600

Nathan,

There are already several alloys with more than 16.5% higher strength than
6061-T6. The questions for rocket stuff is thermal conductivity, solidus,
high temperature strength, etc. Not just raw room-temperature strength. For
instance 7068-T6 has a yield strength of almost 100ksi (vs ~40ksi for
6061), and has 190ish W/m*K thermal conductivity (compared to like 160ish
W/m*K). But it's solidus is only something like 485C (compared to 560ish C
for 6061), which means its high temperature strength/creep characteristics
are probably quite a bit worse than 6061.

If this is a 6xxx series alloy with good thermal conductivity, and similar
solidus to 6061, it might be a good replacement. Ultimately, it would be
interesting to see someone do a detailed thermal analysis of a rocket
engine using some of the various potential aluminum alloys to see which
combination of factors really matters most. I have some hunches, but not
being actively in the rocket world anymore I don't really have the time to
investigate.

Would be really interested if someone wanted to do some sort of simplified
analysis though and publish it on aRocket though!

~Jon