[AR] Re: New Al Alloy

  • From: George Herbert <george.herbert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <arocket@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 13:44:58 -0700

Extrusion plants aren't exactly cheap, Keith...

And the mold design for closed forms (hollow tubing, etc) is nontrivial...

I am enamored of 5059 for welded structures, and some of the people here
have used it.  I'm lusting after trying some friction stir welded + aged
7075-T4 -> T5.

But for most of us those are fairly silly optimizations most of the time.

I'm looking at this new alloy...

-george

--
-george william herbert