[optacon-l] Re: signing papers and forms

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 14:43:58 -0400 (EDT)

Below is the tip sheet which was prepared from posts of users on this list
concerning the signing of documents. If anyone reads this and has
additional thoughts, please let me know off-list and we can add them.
Here is the tip sheet as it stands now.
Teresa asked: Some listers have said that they use the Optacon to help
sign doccuments.
How can that be done. I mean once you find the place to sign how do they take
the camera off the indicated pace and not miss it?
Fran suggests:
Teresa,
you know that mark on the right side of the camera? It kind of corresponds
to the camera's focus. To sign a document, after I find the right spot I
place a finger of my right hand on the paper right where the mark is. I take
the camera away with my left hand, take the pen and sign. It usually works
for me though unfortunately not always. Maybe others have more efficient
methods? The great thing is that I can then check with the optacon to see if
I've signed in the right place and how my signature looks.
Gail suggests:
I have a ruler that has a cork back. After I've put my finger
on the place the camera has indicated, I put that ruler as straight as I can
with the left end where my finger is. Then I can check with the optacon to see
if it's lined up right and then I sign. This works best on smaller documents or
where the signature line is near the bottom. If the line is in the middle,
it's much harder to line up, but if I really need to sign something and there
isn't a sighted person around, I can do it. It just takes time.
Don suggests:
What I do for signing documents is about what Gail does except that I do have a
plastic signature guide.

I place the camera in the open area of the guide where you sign and then move
the guide so it is on the line where I need to sign.  I can see where I am by
moving the guide around a little with the camera in the open area.

I also check out the document before trying to use the guide so I'm oriented to
about where the signature should be.  Then I just fine-tune my position with
the guide and camera.  Once I get the position I just remove the camera and
sign.

Once you've done it a time or two the whole procedure is really quite easy and
accurate too.
Ham Steve suggests:
Well, I do something similar to Gail.
I had to sign a lot of corporate letters.  I found that if I placed a paper
weight straight such that the end of the camera would read the bottom line
of my signature heading, then placing my signature guide against the
paperweight would get me right in the proper area.

If I've had other pre-printed documents to sign, I did like Fran did, and
used the mark on the side of the camera.  I was careful to start the
signature about a half inch further left to account for the distance between
the outer edge of the camera and the focal area.

Deborah suggests:
To sign documents using the Optacon I have developed a slightly different
approach.  I slide an index card or sheet of paper underneath the paper I
need to sign.  I then line up the top of the card with the signature line,
feeling the card through the sheet of paper.  In this way I can remove the
camera lens from the paper and sign right along the line.  I find it works
very well, especially if I put the card and page on the rubber mat that came
with the Optacon to keep them from slipping around.
Hope these tips help.