Re: optacon as input to computer

  • From: dg140@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Charles Pond)
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 07:51:12 -0500 (EST)

Hi Olga.  There was really next to nothing written about servicing the
optacon R1D (if that's the model you have).  The few technicians who work
on them learned from experience.  The diagrams are floating around here
and there, but they are generations removed from the parents, and there
are a few errors in them.  Nothing significant.  If I thought it worth the
effort, I'd redo the diagrams on something like ORCAD, fix up the errors,
unclutter them, do versions with updated parts, etc.  For a product which
will not live past the time of the critical parts, it's not worth it.

You are in Italy?  Dave Godfrey in London England repairs optacons.
Richard Oehm in California repairs them.  There may be a few more
technicians here and there.  We here in Ottawa, Canada, are chipping away
at learning the optacon, and carefully recording our observations,
problems and solutions.  You might say that a service manual is evolving,
but to what purpose?  The best thing you can do is to hold onto your
optacons and get them working again, or get them into the hands of those who
can use them for spar(s)e parts.

Charles

---