Re: optacon as input to computer

  • From: dg140@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Charles Pond)
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 04:27:46 -0500 (EST)

There was a program to use the optacon II with a DOS computer.  However,
it also interpreted characters, turning thenm into a kind of sans serif
font.  Neat program, though.  It used the mouse as the "camera".  For
X-Windows, the optacon interface does exist, whatever X-Windows is.

As for the threshold adjustment, do you mean something other than the
finger control which you adjust as you red?  Inside the optacon on the
Power-Timing Board there is a small potentiometer (actually it is connected
as a rheostat I believe),
which controls the brightness of the two lamps in the camera.  It is
located right next to the circuit breaker when the optacon is assembled.
The interplay between this control and the threshold control sets the
threshold where you want it.  One must flip between Normal and Invert modes
and read various types of print, while juggling these two controls, in
order to come to a satisfying compromise for this setting.  There is no
factory default for the rheostat's setting; fiddle until reasonably happy.
I do not know how it is done in the Optacon II.   So how does that grab you?

Charles

----