[optacon-l] Re: optacon / Braille PDA combination

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 14:32:38 -0500

Oui, D'acord!

Most of the few braille user's there in the demographic of legally blind
potential user's may not have any interest in using an Optacon-like
device--especially if they're used to OCR for volume reading of print.
Optacon user's comfortable with the use of a camera moved across the
material they're interpolating with the Optacon get useful feedback about
the format of the material being examined by the movement of their tracking
hand, and the loss of contact with the material using a digital camera held
above the material, and the need to factor in ambient light may prove
problematic.

I could continue but the previously cited potential problem sources should
be sufficient to illustrate my perspective.

I for one can't imagine that the ability to play games on, listen to FM
radio, (toy aspects of the braille note I depend upon for note taking at
work) seem likely to radically affect the choices of a potential purchaser
of a $6,000 device.  (smile)

If I want/need a time wasting toy, maybe I'll bite the bullet and purchase a
flat screen "smart?" cell phone.  But having spent a large portion of my 61
years climbing learning curves for new promising tools, I've reached a place
where I'm more selective on what I expend limited energy and funds on.

Shop Smiths, Kitchen Magicians, and even my beloved Leatherman can be
useful--but none can be as efficacious as a specific tool for a specific
job...

Nick