[optacon-l] math symbols

  • From: <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Optacon" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 23:24:40 -0700

Hi list,
I've gotten some math and chemistry lectures from The Teaching Company, a
distance learning company that sells a lot of college level classes on DVD, CD
or downloads. I'm trying to fill in some gaps in my high school and college
education; it's never too late for that. I wonder how those of you who are into
math and science learned the print symbols, especially for advanced algebra and
geometry. I have a book from National Braille Press that includes some raised
symbols with the Nemeth Code, but will probably run into some strange-looking
symbols in the math and chemistry workbooks. If I get as far as advanced
algebra and geometry there will be some unusual characters. The classes include
print workbooks, and that's why I'm asking about this. Did you just learn by
reading the textbooks or hand-outs you got in class, or did you get help from
other sources?

Mary