[optacon-l] creating a new optacon

  • From: Mary Emerson <maryemerson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 18:12:59 -0700

Jyrki and list,

Just a few thoughts to add to the discussion.

I used the optacon in my work at IBM from 1977 till 1991 when I got my
first braille display. I've mentioned all this before so won't go into
it again. I still use it for mail, food packages, books, and other
printed items, and also still read a computer screen when Windows dies
or when I need to re-install Windows for whatever reason.

These days with the economy the way it is, I suspect that funding for
construction of a new optacon would be harder to obtain than in the
past. Also, we need to consider that those who have the ability to
repair our machines will retire, or for whatever reason become unable to
help us; parts are probably next to impossible to find; and Dr. Bliss,
who donated documentation and provided helpful comments to this list, is
no longer with us. If we want new optacons, something will have to be
done to revive interest and convince the blind community that there
really is a need for this device; and to keep prices down and production
easy, we'll have to use modern technology, including a new design for
the array that may or may not be similar to what we've all gotten used to.

We've been down this road before, and I recall some attempts through the
years to try to design and market similar devices, but they've probably
all fallen flat. For example, I've not heard anything about the VideoTim
in years, so I suppose it's gone the way of similar devices although I
hope I'm wrong.

This has all been discussed previously; I'm just writing to agree with
what you've said and toss out these thoughts for what they're worth.

Mary