Re: Wishing for an Optacon

  • From: Anthony Vece <ajvece@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:43:55 -0400

Hi Cathy & Steve;

Steve, it's good to see you on this list.

Cathy, when you get an Optacon, you won't really want to take it out of the house until you are absolutely sure about how to physically handle it.

When you read labels in stores on on a can of vegetables or whatever, sometimes the circumstances might not be quite ideal for doing this.

Maybe you won't have a place to put the Optacon down and it is difficult to navigate the Optacon and the camera.

The camera is connected to the Optacon with a cable, simular to a cable for a microphone cable however, the Optacon cable has about 36 individual wires in it.

They connect to a retina inside the camera housing.

What I'm trying to say is that the Optacon is very delicate and you really don't want to put any undue strain on it.

I never take mine out of the house.

I use it to read my cd covers and anything around the house.

I hope I've been helpful.

Sincerely

Anthony Vece

On 30 Aug 2005, at 20:31, Cathy Harris wrote:

Steve,

Not having a lot of hands-on experience with the Optacon, I do have a couple of questions.

1. Can you take it to the store and read labels etc?

2. Are you able to use it to read or peruse things like your mail quickly?

If I remember correctly, it was about the size of a cassette player, the older kind, and in the other hand you hold a little camera like device?

I would be able to use one for so many things around my home and even work.

Tell me a bit about how you use your device if you don't mind.

Thanks,

Cathy
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve" <k8sp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>