User-designed Optacon

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:39:19 -0500 (EST)

I hope that the discussion on this list concerning the design and features
of a modernized optacon is a first step in making it actually happen. On
this list we appear to have people who are programmers and engineers and
others who know programmers and engineers. Currently there seem to be a
few projects using the name of the optacon to create other devices which
none of the present optacon users seem to want. Does anyone have contact
with any of these projects? Is there any possibility of redirecting any of
them to a ore useable device.
There are people on the list who possess some of the original schematic
material used for the original machines.There are also people on this list
who currently design or repair electronics. In the past few months on this
list there has also been a lot of biographic information concerning how
the optacon either broadened or created vocational opportunities. There
have also been several hundred mentions of different uses of the optacon
which cannot be performed by any other available reading device.
Is it time to begin to put all this data together to figure out what we
already have and what we still need to create a modern optacon? Any
thoughts on how we could begin?
Catherine