Hi from a new lister!

  • From: "Pronello Marco" <Marco.Pronello@xxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 10:57:03 +0100

Hi listers.
I'm Marco from Italy and I subscribed this list just yesterday.
First of all, sorry for my english mistakes that I suppose shall be a lot!
I refer to what Steve and Nicky said about optacon and mobility. When I started
to learn the optacon in 1983 I was eleven, and my parents themselves thought I
couldn't be able to use it the way one should because, according to them, I
hadn't a good hand mobility.
Nonetheless, they decided to let me try and luckily, they had to recognize they
were extremely wrong in judging me that way. In fact, I improved my manual
skills and my spatial perception in a very short time thanks to the optacon,
and I could read and enjoy many books with this machine.
Furthermore, if I have an idea of how to page a document with a computer text
editor to make it neat and suitable, I have to say once more thanks to the
optacon.
I remember that a friend of mine, blind since her birth like me, during a Ms
Word course couldn't understand at all  the way a book page or a letter looked
like, because she had a very poor spatial conception and for that reason she
wasn't able to use the optacon, even though she tried very hard. And I remember
I was able to explain it to her.
I normally use pc for reading and writing, but if I have to read texts in a
foreign language I prefer to read them with the optacon, for scanning can have
several spelling mistakes that make the reading hardly understandable.
Recently I learnt German and I had no braille text, and so I did have to use
the optacon, it was essential and unreplaceable, as it is when I must read
photocopies that a ocr usually can't clearly process.
Last year I wrote two books: a novel and a legal essay and when the pubblisher
gave me the proofs, I had the pleasure to watch and value them with the only
available means, in my opinion, that is the optacon.
There could be many more examples to mention, but to make it short, I'd ask if
anyone knows about possible projects for machines technological similar to the
optacon: I heard something about that, but the costs are still prohibitive.
Bye for now and once again, sorry for my bad english.
Marco