[optacon-l] Re: Replacement light bulb for optacon camera

  • From: <johnobuttons@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 17:03:32 -0700

Thanks Nigel,

I see what you're getting at regarding LED intensity.
Typically it's necessary to use a current regulated power supply to adjust
LED brightness, whereas incandescent bulbs generally use
a voltage regulated power supply.  So it might be possible to add an
adjustable current limiter, but it's much easier  if I can find an
incandescent bulb.
I once built a current regulated power supply to dim an LED for use as a
microscope illuminator and it worked out very well.

Actually, I'd be very happy if I could just find a supply of replacement
bulbs on the internet.  This is about as close to what Dave described as I
was able to find.
http://www.bulbs.com/T--Type/Under_5W/Lead_wires/results.aspx?Ns=P_Wattage+S
ort|0&pid=279
The diameter of the first bulb is 0.125 inch which is about 3 mm
Perhaps that's the right one??

Thanks for all the help.  I've enjoyed learning about the optacon!

John