Re: ReL camera that talks

  • From: "W. Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 09:37:51 -0500

Right, the "threshold" know is the determinant of at what point the binary
decision of whether or not a dot exists/is detected and should be displayed.
That
being said, there is considerably less of what we would characterize as the
type of processing an OCR engine is having performed on the image prior to
getting the image, and desegmenting the page Etc...  In the KT/NFB device, the
preprocessing isn't done by the OCR engine at all, but rather by the
software in the device which desegments the page...  What I was getting at, is
that on a largescale image, I would want the device to merely buffer the
image, and allow me to scroll around on it, perhaps only with today's
technology, if there were a denser array possible, being able to apply
different levels of
"intensity" on a pin by pin basis, to attempt to convey some of what sightlings
see as "shading" in the image, if a user prefered that to the traditional
binary,
the dot is or isn't there model...  Yes, I know about the different ways one
can currently access the display including the not mentioned "Weasel", but I'd
prefer something that could access the machines visual display data, without
having to physically wield the lense module, I've earned Tunel Carpel from
years of those maneuvers, with arthritis, as I never had the luxury of the face
up monitor...

Nick

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:18:42 -0400 (EDT), Charles Pond wrote:

 Hi Nick.  Answers:
 1.  An array with different/lesser tactile parameters was not the
 point.  The size of the array if one were built today is not what
 I meant; it is the size of a new, stand-alone optacon which could
 be like a cassette container.  The array can be as large or as
 small as one wishes.  As for cost, the cost of a new optacon could
 be less than the original price, but the tactile display would
 still be expensive.  Nowadays, with better materials to make the
 bimorfhs, and dedicated driver chips for anything like this problem
 (backplane drivers for visual displays, drivers for MEMs), the
 display could be smaller and use less power than those in our
 optacons, but the cost might likely be around a thousand or so Cdn
 (wild guess).

 2.  Connecting a tactile array to an OCR thing would not be as big
 a deal as one would think.  Whether trivial or not is not a
 distracting concern for creative designers.

 Connecting a tactile array to an oCR system (my Braille display is
 connected to my computer) has the benefit of allowing the consumer
 to add on what they wish, when they wish and at a pace affordable
 to them.  I doubt that a stand-alone optacon would sell nowadays,
 but a module might.  Of course, the access device MUST have a what-
 you-feel-is-what-you-get mode for real-time optacon-like use.  I'd
 probably use that mode more than other image processing or image
 enhancement modes.  At this point, let me deal with the false
 belief on the list that says that somehow the optacn simply pipes
 the exact camera image directly to the tactile array, photosensor
 to tactile stimulator, albeit there is a one-to-one mapping.  This
 is the impression which we have.  Although there is no image
 OCR'ing as with a package like K1000, there is signal handling and
 digital decisions being made by the optacon's circuits which create
 and affect what we feel on our finger.  What we feel is actually
 rebuilt and scanned onto our finger.  It is not a simple straight-
 through feeding of a tactile image to the display.  The camera is
 actually scanned to see which photosensors are excited (excites me
 too).  Also, "decisions" are made by the comparator circuitry in
 the threshold feature to decide how bright or dark parts of the
 image are relative to each other, and notably to a preselected
 electrical level, which is then displayed for us as either
 vibrating or passive pins.  We perceive, quite accurately, what the
 camera "sees", but we little know the stuff which goes on in the
 black box to make it so.  Even the image which we feel on our
 finger is scanned on" electronically speaking, but done so quickly
 that we perceive it as a solid, spontaneously fluid process of a
 tactile shape.  If Richard or Dave or someone like this is on the
 list, they can clarify or correct me here.  So, the tactile image
 which we feel is actually scanned at several stages, and rebuilt
 for us to perceive.  So, what is the technical objection to a
 digital component to a new real-time optacon system?

 3.  What we (you in this example) want can be done with a real-time
 optaconer, whether built in 1973 or 2008.  But for the sake of
 being the Adversary's Advocate (whose days are short as the Bible
 says): if a picture of something is snapped, reading it later on
 won't change the information on the original image.  It won't have
 changed by the time we get around to reading it a few seconds
 later.  Speaking in milliseconds delay time, the optacon itself
 stores image pieces (well actually "bits") in various shift
 registers and latches until it is ready to have the tactile display
 reflect them.  so, whether we're talking in minutes, seconds or
 milliseconds, the issue is the same, philosophically.

 As for reading a BIOs:
 1.  You `an use an optacon with a crt lens or with the light of the
 standard one shut off.
 2.  You can do a screen dump to a printer and read the printout.
 3.  You can send it to a Braille notetaker (the F.s. ones are
 be>ter for this than the Pulsedata ones I feel), and read the file
 while counting your keystrokes.  Yep, life is a challenge. :)

 Charles

 ---

 From: nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ("W. Nick Dotson")
 Subject: Re: Camera That Talks

 1.  The tactile array had a specific matrix, and granularity
 because scientifically conducted medical studies proved the
 efficacy of an array with the characteristics used in the Model R1
 devices.  Those of us who use it heavily, for the mostpart, were
 considerably less impressed with the R2's array.  What
 if any benefit could be garnered from an array that was broader
 than that of the 2-fingered Japanese model?  And, what is going to
 drive down the manufacturing cost of the array?

 2.  Linking an OCR-Oriented device, which does alot of
 preprocessing before OCR'ing the image, to a tactile array is not
 going to be a trivial task, and to
 what end would such a linkage be beneficial?

 3.  I do like the idea of being able to explore a computer screen
 text graphics and all, as one sort of could with the Model 2's,
 but, I'd want something freed of the constraints of having to
 necessarily be tied to specific OS'(s), if possible, perhaps even
 something giving one access to the BIOS, but those are
 almost mutually exclusive of hardware and software dependencies...

 Nick

 On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 16:48:12 -0400 (EDT), Charles Pond wrote:

  rather than simply rebuilding the optacon using the original
 circuit
  designs with today's technology, it might be sensible to build a
  USB-compatible tactile array in a box with the needed controls,
 and plug
  it into something like this "camera that talks".  I other words,
 alter and
  refine oleg's readiog machine-based approach.  Does it make sense
  re-develop a stand-alone optacon?  From what I am piecing together
 over
  time of how the optacon R1D and II work (here a little, there a
 little),
  and with today's technology, it would seem feasible to build an
 optacon
  about the size of a cassette tape case or thereabouts. (maybe not
  including battery?)

  Charles

 Shown 74%, press <SPACE> for more, 'q' to quit, or 'h' for help

 (without the quotes) in the message subject.

  Tell your friends about the list.  They can subscribe by sending
 a message to:

  optacon-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "subscribe" (without
 the quotes) in the message subject.

 (without the quotes) in the message subject.
 Shown 93%, press <SPACE> for more, 'q' to quit, or 'h' for help
 Tell your friends about the list.  They can subscribe by sending a
 message to:

 optacon-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "subscribe" (without
 the quotes) in the message subject.

 End of File, Press RETURN to quit