[optacon-l] Re: Optacon array

  • From: "C. Pond" <cpond@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon list" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 May 2015 20:19:59 -0400

Yes, Dave, agreed about merely building a retro-display. (I’m still way
behind on everything here including e-mails.) Not only would merely
duplicating an R1D tactile array be a waste of engineering time and resources,
but it really wouldn’t forward the cause of a new and up-dated and modern
optacon with an even better display and rich with optional and wished-for
features. The wish list was not mine; it was a collection of suggestions from
listers from the past several years. Even with existing optacon displays, a
few actuators/pins can cease operation, and as long as they are not in a line,
the optacon user likely won’t notice. I’m not sure what is more difficult:
fixing and reassembling an existing array, or duplicating it and saving its
re-assembly time. Integrating electromagnetic actuators with the scanning, the
timing and the voltage changes of the optacon R1D (or for that matter an
optacon II) which is meant to power bimorphs would require another sub-project,
and at the very least it would be somewhat redundant electronically. For those
who are looking at the idea, even a casual look at the optacon’s video port
should bring this immediately to light.

At this point here, I am now squeezing every thou out of the diameter of the
tactuators, and I can now do a display with at least 36 vertically and about
half that horizontally. I am testing to see if it is necessary to enwrap each
separate tactuator with fine Mu-Metal foil, or can this cautionary step be
skipped. The Mu-Metal foil serves several purposes, including minimizing
inductive and magnetic cross-talk between these very closely placed tactuators.
However, using a sensing algorythm based on the leading and trailing pulse
edges of the tactuators, and the fact that they are stacked and staggered (like
some of my friends on the weekends, stacked and staggered they are)might make
this Mu-Metal foil jacket unnecessary. It is a bit of a challenge to obtain
accurate and consistent and reproducible results for comparison both with and
without the Mu-Metal foil because of the dynamic nature of the magnetic
circuits, and because of their geometry.

Charles