[optacon-l] Optacon Use

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 04:40:46 -0500 (EST)

Dianne,
Many of us are still opening new doors and blazing trails with the
Optacon. The novelty still exists too. If we plan for the Optacon to have
a future and to be available to another generation, it's important to
focus on the present--what the Optacon does now and how we can make it do
more.

Over these years as we worked to preserve existing Optacons, we have
recognized that the Optacon is more than just a specific device. The
concept of reading actual print in real time whether it is on paper, on an
appliance surface, or on a wall plaque is something that blind people
can't afford to lose even if only a relatively small number of persons
would give it the time and patience to become active users.

Some of our surveys have come in with individuals using the Optacon for
one or two tasks only. Whether we use the Optacon a little or a lot it's
the existence of this choice that is important.

Catherine