[optacon-l] Optacon Use

  • From: Catherine Thomas <braille@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 00:05:15 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Listers,
Robert's recent note reminded me of something. There are quite a few of us
who use the Optacon a lot. Some of us though just use it for one or two
things. We don't want anybody who uses the Optacon for limited purposes to
feel overwhelmed or unskilled. Sure, we talk about all the things the
Optacon can do and also the stuff it can't. We are also delighted if
something that gets mentioned on-list gives somebody an idea of a new
thing to do using the Optacon. The idea though is to use it in ways that
will help you in your personal life. What anybody else does with the
Optacon, how fast they do it or how much they use it doesn't really enter
into the situation.

Also, while we are at it, using an Optacon doesn't mean that you shouldn't
use a scanner or that sighted assistance when available isn't often more
efficient. The Optacon is just one tool among many and there is nothing
wrong with having pleanty of tools in you box.

I hope this puts to rest any feelings of intimidation or of passing
judgement. Nobody on this list ever meant to do that.
Catherine