Re: I found the answer!

  • From: "Don Bishop" <w6smb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:29:46 -0700

Hi Gail,

Thanks for checking it out.  That's really good to know.  Once you're
registered it's a little harder to check out these kinds of things, so I really
appreciate it.

I'd really like to see the archives only available to list members, and it
would be nice if the server were smart enough to figure out that a member is
accessing
the archives so they wouldn't have to register.  But, this might require
cookies and such.  I'll look into it though, and thanks again.

Don

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 05:02:00 EDT, Gailselfridge@xxxxxxx wrote:

Don:
I didn't have to register to look at the optacon-l archives. What I had to do
was this. I had to go to www.freelists.org/archives/optacon-l/ and then I was
presented with an index of the messages with links to each. I could read down
the index and press enter on the link to any message. That's how it works. As
administrator, you might be able to make it so that we had to sign in to view
the messages and then you could check to make sure we're subscribed, and if
I'm right about that then I'm sure you could make it an automated procedure,
but you'd have to read more about your own privileges to know that, and since
only members to the list would know how to read the archives and since they're
not anything that couldn't be read by any curious person, you might not want to
bother with that, but the signup thingy is for creating a list. I'm a list
moderator on smartgroups and I had to get someone to help me set that one up
and
then I had to read a lot of information over there until I got it straight,
so it looks to me like freelists might just be easier to work with.
Gail

To unsubscribe at eny time, just send a message to:

To unsubscribe at eny time, just send a message to: