[optacon-l] Hi from a New Member

  • From: "Dan and Bonnie Tonge" <dandbtonge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Optacon" <optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 18:31:18 -0800

This is Dan from Mount Vernon, formerly from Seattle, WA.  I have two Optacons
right now, one of the "new" models and one of the older ones.  I am the one
that Catherine mentioned who used the Optacon to read the onscreen menu from my
VCR to program it.  On an older VCR, I was able to read the display on the
front of the VCR as it didn't have capabilities for an onscreen menu.  I was
pretty tickled, because even most sighted people I talk with didn't know how to
program theirs.  Also, when one of those late-night infomercials was on, they
didn't give the number to call auditorially, just said it was at the bottom of
the screen.  So I recorded a bit of the infomercial then put it on play and
pause, and was able to read the number with the Optacon.  I just love it, and
was so distressed when they stopped making them, not too long after I had just
finished paying for one on a long-term financing deal with Telesensory.
Anyway, I even got the instructions on how to take the CRT lens apart and
change the magnification inside, but I'm not sure where those are.  They sent a
little, tiny screwdriver with which to take it apart, but I have had too many
moves and not sure if I still have that or not.  I wouldn't purposely let it
go, but you know how things can get lost moving.  Anyway, just wanted to
introduce myself.  I am 57 years old and started using the Optacon on my job in
1981.  Talk with you all later.  By the way, hello to Al.  Haven't talked with
you in a long time.

Dan