[optacon-l] Re: Facts

  • From: Pat Byrne <k9jau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: optacon-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 15:45:00 -0500

Thanks Catherine.
pat ByrneAt 02:38 PM 6/4/2015, you wrote:

The members of the Optacon list know for a fact that the technical
ezpertise of Charles, David and Richard comes from years of experience
using and repairing Optacons. We know that they are thoroughly acquainted
with the designs of the various models and with the extensive research
that was done on the Optacon's various aspects. Most of us on the list are
not in a position to judge the technical merits of any design proposal
unless there are concrete examples that we can look at and test.
To the best of our knowledge, there is no actual new Optacon-like device
or even a design for one. Therefore, it's a little early to be grabbing
any sort of credit.

Over the years many people have been interested in the Optacon, how it
works, its uses and its potential for big bucks. We've watched dozens of
devices come and go, most of them being glorified scanners. When people
have asked about the Optacon, this list has answered everyone's questions
freely and I expect that we will continue to do so.

We hope to preserve for the next generation a device that can read print
on paper and on other surfaces in real time without re-interpretation.
This unique feature is what separates the Optacon from the hundreds of
access devices already in existence. We hope that the Optacon will be able
to read computer screens and other displays and colors in real time also.
The more things that can be read with the Optacon, using the brain as
interpreter, e.g. TV screens, CD displays, cell phones, monitors, smart
phones, touch-screens, etc., the more potential users might be drawn to
the Optacon. The Optacon will never be the device of choice for those who
wish the instant gratification of being read to. The things that Optacon
users know about print page layouts are not even a part of the awareness
of those who have never experienced them. Unfortunately, my best guess is
that most potential Optacon users would rather go with a passive
(read-to-me" device in spite of many limitations. In other words, the
Optacon will never be a for-profit device.

Nevertheless, for countless reasons we would like to preserve this method
of accessing information. Anyone who wishes to contribute technical
expertiseout of a genuine interest is asked to contribute with no hope of
financial gain.

We hope that everyone interested in Optacon design can work out there
differences PRIVATELY.

We all hope for the best.
Catherine

the quotes) in the message subject.

Tell your friends about the list. They can subscribe by sending a message to:

optacon-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word "subscribe" (without