[muglo] Re: now I'm really confused

  • From: Dean Danis <dean_danis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:05:25 -0400

Hello Doug,

I've used CCC hundreds of times and it works very well. There must have been
something that you did by mistake to result in a backup with no movies or
music. I might suggest making sure that the external HD has been formatted as
an HFS+ drive. Off the shelf drives almost always ship as FAT formatted
volumes. On a few occasions I have seen some odd behaviour with externals
formatted as FAT.

Warning - Formatting your external will delete all contents on that drive.

1. Launch Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility and format the external HD
as an HFS+ drive. (All data on the external will be lost)
2. Launch CCC. Select your internal HD as the Source and the newly formatted
external as the target. Chose 'backup everything' from the cloning options.
3. Verify the settings from CCC. I always do this right before pressing the
clone button.
4. Verify that the external has the data. Bring up two finder windows, one from
your internal HD and the external. Set to list view for each finder window. Go
to  the 'View' options for the finder and press 'show view options'. Select
calculate all sizes for each of these windows. Now select the size column on
each finder window so that each window sorts based on the size of the files,
not the name.
5. Sit back for a few minutes until each finder window has finished calculating
the size of eah folder and file. Compare the external drive to the internal
drive to see if folders have copied.

Let me know if the data backs up.
Dean

Dean Danis
519-494-8639
90 Caprice Cr.

London Ontario

N5V 3M2

We are your photos. Share us now with Windows Live Photos.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid?66047