[muglo] Re: iCab Mail ?

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 11:55:25 -0500

on 7/11/02 16:20, Martin Albinger at max@xxxxxx wrote:

> "Eric D." wrote:
>> (like the evil Netscrape ;).
>
> NS seems to work OK for sending e-mails. And I thought it was
> only M$ that was evil!  Oh where, oh where (and when) have I been
> led astray!

Ever since AOheLl-Time Warner took over Netscape they have been no better or
no worse than Netscrash.

I'm so !@$)(*^ annoyed by Netscrash 4.8 & 4.79 (don't even dare touch older
or newer versions) -- my OS 9 install is pretty rock solid now that I don't
fiddle with installing new programs with the sole exception of Netscrash.

I've been using NS' Composer and FTP capabilities to manage a little web
page for a course that I TA and I find that I have a *lot* of complete 100%
freezes (mouse stops moving) which I don't have with *any* other apps. I can
either be in NS or working in another app and all of a sudden the computer
stops dead in its tracks. I would like to attribute it to something else,
but it is 100% affiliated with NS being open, and doesn't relate to Composer
functionality. I've had NS just sitting there doing nothing (haven't used
Composer, just opened it thinking I would) and the freeze happened.

Freezes simply *do not* happen with it closed, and I've only been having
these freezes since I've been NS again (& usually it has to be open ~1/2
hour for this to happen).

Anyway, I'd be cursing a lot more if I was using one of the newer versions
-- they are even *less* stable (and far, FAR less Mac-like) than NS
4.7.9/4.8.

In the end it comes down to this: Microsoft makes some top-notch
applications for Macintosh which conform to (or extend) Apple's GUI
guidelines. MS IE 5.1 is 100% Mac-interface. Netscape 4.x is 98% Mac
interface. NS 6.x/7.x is 30% Mac interface, 70% crap (i.e. Windows port).

Note though: Chimera 0.6 is a Mozilla (Netscape)-based browser that's
shaping up to be a very zippy little browser that conforms 98% to Mac GUI
guidelines (I'm still waiting for command-click to move around the window
contents... IE 5.2 on OS X 10.2 and Opera 5.0 on OS 9 certainly have the
edge over the competition with that single feature).

L8r, Eric.

going to <//www.freelists.org/archives/muglo>

<paulthomas@xxxxxxx>