[muglo] Re: 'Root' Question

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 23:07:49 -0500

>From: TDK <kearn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [muglo] 'Root' Question
>Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:49:06 -0500
>
>Hi All,
>I have 4 accounts set in my iBook (OS 10.2.8), one for each family
>member.
>When I am logged into mine I am unable to preform some functions in the
>'Computer' section as opposed to my 'Home' section. I.e.- delete.
>What I need to do is delete part of an application that keeps crashing
>Safari for me (Norton Privacy Control) but am unable to. I get an error
>message saying that it is owned by 'root'.
>How do I log into to do this?
>TIA,
>Tim

What you should do is either (a) upgrade Norton Privacy Control to the
latest version, or (b) use the Norton installer to remove the application.

Failing that, you can delete the file yourself (last resort and I STRONGLY
suggest you do it the proper way with the installer). If you drag-and-drop
the app to install, you can just as easily drag-and-delete to uninstall. If
you have to use an installer, you also should also use an uninstaller, just
to make sure that everything is left in working order.

Root is inactive on your Mac by default and should remain so, unless you
really know what you're doing (& given that you don't know how to delete a
root-owned file... ;P). Instead, the way to acquire "super user" priviledges
is by using the "sudo" command.

Fire up the terminal and "cd" (change directory) to the appropriate
directory. cd / to go to "root" (not root user). then type,

sudo rm theoffendingfilename

And enter the appropriate password. Oh, BTW, make sure you use an "admin"
account to do this.

If theoffendingfilename contains spaces, enclose the name in quotes. Be
careful, you will be able to delete ANY file using this command.

But, like I said before, use the installer to remove the app before
resorting to the sledge hammer solution.

PS it is possible to relaunch the Finder as a root app using sudo (which
will allow you to copy/read/delete/move ALL files in the OS through the GUI)
but it's not recommended as you can do a lot of damage.

Eric.