[muglo] Re: Pen drives or Flash drives?

  • From: Tee Cashmore <tee.cashmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 10:35:02 -0500

Kathryn-Jane Hazel wrote:

>Dear Muglo-ites:
>
>I called  up my friendly neighbourhood Mac shop guy and asked about a
>Pen or Key drive - he didn't seem to know what I was talking about.
>
>He called me back and suggested I get a Piccolo USB Flash Drive, made
>by Sonnet, and said it is like a card that you insert (?). Have any of
>you heard of this?  What is the difference between a Flash Drive and a
>Pen or Key drive?

Sounds like a typical uninformed reply. They are all the same thing
really. Personally, there is no reason on earth to buy such an item at a
Mac store; normally costing much more; if there is a Future Shop, Best
Buy, Staples close by. Vancouver has these, but I'm not sure of the Island.

>What would be the optimum size for someone like myself, who does mainly
>word processing with no graphics - 128 MB or less?  I calculated that
>if I put every document I ever created that I now have on disk it would
>take up less than 100 MB.
>
>And I thought I had this storage problem figured out at last....
>
>Cheers,
>
>Kathryn

I would suggest 128 Mb, as that size is generally about $70 ish, but
there are often promo deals that make it more economical to buy bigger. HTH.
TTFN,
TeeC