[muglo] Re: Panther

  • From: "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:58:13 -0500

On 19/03/06, Tee Cashmore <teecashmore@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On 19-Mar-06, at 2:47 PM, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> > Is your Tiger disk perhaps a restricted disk -- i.e., you should only
> > be using it on a particular type of Mac?
>
> No. It is the version for G4 Laptops, newly from Apple with my new 1.5
> Gig.

Unless the laptop was the _exact_ same model there's a chance that
Apple engineered the 10.4 disk not to install.

> > Library folder in the System Folder? Huh. This should NEVER be the
> > case! The only libraries that exist should be:
> > /Library
> > ~/Library (where ~ means "home"... i.e. /Users/tee/Library)
>
> Exactly! I've never seen only a Library in a System folder before, at
> least one that didn't have all the other folders in it.

And there aren't any other folders kicking around? Probably means they
were messing around with OS 9 and mucked things up (is this a laptop
that could still boot with OS 9).

> > Reset the HD? Do you mean format the HD? Did you boot into the
> > installer and open up the disk utility?
>
> Yes, Format & of course I booted etc. Monday Larry will have to contact
> the previous owner & ask what he did; he is supposed to supply the
> original disks anyway.
> Just wondered if there was another way to format the drive, but it's
> Larrys problem now.

Unless the disk is not supported by the disk utility (HIGHLY unlikely)
it would reformat. You probably were in a wrong screen or something
(you did boot into the installer portion of the installer disk and
tried to reformat the drive before installing by opening up the Disk
Utility, right?).

I guess you can't experiment now anyway.

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/