[muglo] Re: No Mac Office 10.1.5

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: k.j.hazel@xxxxxxx, muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:11:45 -0500

>I called up my friendly Mac shop in town and will be picking up OS 10.3.2
>tomorrow.

Well, you'll be getting 10.3.0 and having to allow OS X to do it's
auto-update thingy.

>However, the Mac guy was unable to find such a creature as MS Office 10.1.5
>for Macs, and this is someone who scoured the earth to find me a G4 laptop
>with a 12" screen when there were only about four left in Canada this
>August.

It's easily accessible from http://www.microsoft.com/mactopia (just go to
the downloads section for Office). But, it's easiest just to go to the links
I've listed below and download and run the installers.

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx>

Updaters:

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/DOWNLOAD/OFFICEX/OfficeX_1015.xml&secid=5&ssid=15&flgnosysreq=True>
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/DOWNLOAD/OFFICEX/OfficeX_1012.xml&secid=5&ssid=11&flgnosysreq=True>
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx?pid=download&location=/mac/DOWNLOAD/OFFICEX/exchangeupdate.xml&secid=5&ssid=14&flgnosysreq=True>

>Maybe he was talking about the Educational version of the program, which is
>what I want - there's a $500 difference in price.  Or were you talking
>about MS Word only?  I need Office because I use Excel for my grading.

You already have Office for X, right? In that case the updates are a free
download. The academic version is identical to the joe-blow one.

>As to some of your other queries: the dialogue boxes that pop up unbidden
>run the gamut and have nothing to do with the computer functioning. It's as
>if the machine starts going beserk and flashes miscellaneous dialogue boxes
>before my eyes.

Hmmm? I'd need to know exactly what the boxes say to take a guess at what's
going on.

>As to the WYSIWYG problem, it is entirely arbitrary. Sometimes it happens;
>sometimes not. Yesterday, for example, everything as back to normal.  It's
>the same with the selecting, de-selecting problem.  Sometimes it works;
>sometimes it doesn't.

It's probably simply that you viewed it at a certain size (or are working on
a document that someone else viewed at a certain size) and Word is using the
settings.

>Here's something else that's happening; when I boot up I get a little
>folder with a question mark for about a nanosecond. My Mac OSX for Dummies
>book says that means it can't find my start-up disk, but it always does and
>my computer starts up - so what does it mean?

Umm. Umm. Umm. Me don't know. It's nothing major. If you're really irked by
it, reformat your harddrive and start fresh ;)

Eric.