[muglo] Even more questions and answers

  • From: Kathryn-Jane Hazel <k.j.hazel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Eric D <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 23:42:59 -0800

Hi Eric:

I've installed lots of RAM; I now have 640 MB, and I had my computer
password reset, so I can install new software.  But I am still having
problems.

I had an episode of kernel panic once again when I left the PowerBook
in sleep; this was after I had re-connected my USB hub (it's an Adesso,
model AUH-103).

I disconnected it but still had strange stuff happening, such as the
scattered screen when I exited MSWord before putting the computer to
sleep (Take a look at the pictures on the www.blackcider.com site; that
is what's happening, and this is after my logicboard was replaced).

Other stuff that happens is I opened up my MSWord files and they were
blank, except for a tiny screen in the top left-hand corner that looked
like the kind of screen when you open up an Excel file, except there
was nothing in it either.  This was after getting a message that the
Excel application had quit - just as I was waking my computer from
sleep. (I had been using Excel the night before.)

The other glitches are that sometimes it is extremely difficult to
select copy to move it within a document, and other times it works
fine; sometimes I can't de-select copy, despite clicking on my mouse
six, seven, a dozen times; sometimes I can add words to my dictionary,
and other times not; sometimes page layout shows my documents in
WYSIWYG, and other times in tiny unreadable type; strange dialogue
boxes pop up unbidden; documents that I want to save to disk keep
opening up, no matter how many times  I try to close them; and on and
on.

This is the laptop from hell.  Although these may seem like small
irritations, they are adding hours and hours to my work, because small,
simple tasks like moving copy take me minutes instead of seconds
because of the problems with selecting and de-selecting, and having to
close these @#$%^&* dialogue boxes and trying to save files to disk
which keep opening up and/or giving me messages such as "Do you want to
revert to the saved document?".

My external floppy disk drive is a macally, as is my mouse; my printer
is a Brother HL-1435. These are the only external devices I use, and I
now connect them one at a time rather than use my USB hub, which is
also irritating and time-consuming.

I haven't installed OS 10.3.2 yet, but if this keeps up, I will.  If I
do that, though, do I need to save my bookmarks and e-mails?  I
understand that to do that I have to import them - whatever that means!
(I'll get help for that, too.)

Is MS Office 10.1.5 really that much better?  You say that it isn't as
satisfactory as Word 98, which I also liked, but alas, can no longer
use.
I will upgrade to that if it is worth it - I'm desperate!

Anyway, I am very pessimistic about what can be done with this machine.
  Fortunately I have AppleCare for another three years, but I don't know
if I can stand it for that length of time. (I just tried to select a
letter in a word I had misspelled and it took me 39 tries before it
would do it).

I did not have any of these problems until after I upgraded to OS
10.2.8, which is why I am wary of upgrading to 10.3.2.

I hope there is a solution.  If there isn't, will Apple give me a new
PowerBook - or will they say it's a software problem, so tough luck?

Cheers (sort of),

Kathryn