[muglo] Re: Admin Password

  • From: "Eric D" <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:21:42 -0500

To me this e-mail suggests you haven't updated software on your computer
yet?

If so, I suggest you go to Apple menu and select "Software Update..." and
allow the updater to run. You will be asked for an administrator password.
Enter the password that you assigned to your account when you
installed/first booted your computer.

Since you are the only user on your computer, you are automatically an
"admin"(istrator) level user. This means that you have the ability to run
any program and do anything to your computer, provided you enter your user
password.

When you created your account (if you went through that process the first
time you booted your computer... I hope you did), you would have been
invited (forced) to enter three pieces of information:
1. your full user name,
2. your "account" name, and
3. the password to assign to the account.

#1 is probably "Paul Thomas", #2 is possibly paulthomas, and #3 is whatever
you specified as the password.

I am guessing that you have "auto-login" enabled (i.e. you do not have to
enter a password upon boot).

When you are presented with the dialogue asking you for an admin password, I
suspect you will see "Paul Thomas" already filled in. All you have to do is
enter your password.

If you have forgotten your password, insert the OS X install DVD (or CD) and
"reset the password". I have never done this before so I can't guide you
through it, but I suspect that it's not that difficult to find.

Good luck.

PS If you want to find out more about how security works on the Mac, read-up
on "sudo" (super-user do, substitute user-do). That's the magical little
command that allows Mac OS X to be amongst the most virus-proof OSes in
existence.

Eric.