[muglo] Re: A SonyPlaystation 2! Resending with correct date

  • From: Spell Bound Publishing <spellboundpub@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 16:17:04 -0500

Looks like a PC audio "wav" file MIME encoded (base 64) judging by it's
header. It was an early way of encoding complex files (8-bit code) into
ASCII (7-bit code) so they would pass through the internet intact. Early
internet relays understood 7-bit codes but damaged 8-bit. UUENCODING and
MIME (base 64) encoding allowed these files to pass undamaged. However, the=
required coding and decoding on either end of the transmission. I use UULIT=
for decoding UUENCODED files. I'm not sure what program(s) decode MIME, but
I suspect a quick google search would turn up something. If you are really
interested you can follow the URL below. I've pasted their intro text below
the asterisks for those who want a quick but light understanding of what it
really means.=20

For those of you who use Outlook Express, open the Attachment window in a
new email window and click on the italicized type at the bottom. It will
bring up a dialog which will allow you to encode in these and other
formats... so you see, these are still active protocols.

(If you haven't started yawning by this point, then you might appreciate th=
rest of the material.) :-)

http://www.seniortechcenter.org/reference_library/internet/email/mime_and_u=
_encode.php

Reference Library > Using the Internet > E-mail
Understanding MIME and UU-encoding/decoding
=A0    =A0
This document describes encoding and decoding standards used for
transferring files on the Internet.
Introduction=20
    =20
The Internet was initially designed to transfer information from computer t=
computer via ASCII characters, basic text and numerals. As the Internet gre=
and became a more widely used medium for sending files back and forth such
as graphics, audio, and video, methods had to be developed to convert these
file types for Internet travel. Two of the most common methods of encoding
and decoding these file types are MIME and uuencode:

*    uuencode/decode - A universal protocol used to transfer files between
different platforms such as UNIX, Windows, and Macs.
*    MIME - Another specification for formatting non-ASCII messages so they
can be sent over the Internet.
*    BinHex - An older encoding/decoding mechanism used mostly by older
Macs.

=A0=20
uuencode    =20
Now a universal protocol for transferring files, uuencode was coined from
Unix-to-Unix encode. Now uuencode is used across all platforms in networks
and the Internet. This utility is a set of algorithms that converts files
into a series of 7-bit ASCII characters from its binary or bit-stream
representation. Text can be handled by older systems that may not be able t=
handle binary files well and larger files can be more easily divided into
multi-part transmissions.

=A0=20
MIME    =20
MIME stands for Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions. This is also a
specification for formatting non-ASCII messages so they can be sent via the
Internet. Email clients that support the MIME format are able to send and
receive such non-text files such as graphics, audio, and video very much th=
same way uuencode does. To insure that email with images or other non-ASCII
files will be delivered without corruption, MIME is used to encode the
non-text information as text. This is known as base64.

=A0=20
BinHex    =20
BinHex is used mostly by older Mac computers and is not compatible with mos=
other systems. Most Macs can still decode BinHex files but Mac users should
be aware that they may be sending files to a non-Mac user and thus should
probably make sure their email preferences are set to MIME or uuencode.

=A0=20
Summary    =20
Transferring non-text files over the Internet may seem like an easy task,
but you must make sure whatever is sent will be received in usable form.
Many older systems will need special encoding and decoding utilities.
Luckily most modern email programs support MIME and uuencode methods for
sending attachments. If you're using an older Mac system, make sure you
aren't using BinHex because the UNIX or Windows system your message is
travelling on or being received on won't be able to decode it into its
original form.

=8BLarry

___________________________

Larry Kryski
Spell Bound Publishing
121-4056 Meadowbrook Drive
London, ON  N6L 1E3

Ph.: 519-652-8267
Fax: 519-652-8268

World Wide Web:
http://members.rogers.com/spellboundpub/
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Your source for:=20
=80 Printing
=80 Publishing
=80 Macintosh Consulting