Re: [ANN] Universal Lua (beta1) -- A LuaJIT Package Manager

  • From: Cosmin Apreutesei <cosmin.apreutesei@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 09:35:29 +0300

[1] Primarily because the inital aim of the project: to run a Lua
application directly from a ZIP file, wasn't possible in general
(.so or .dll files *have* to be loaded from disk, so I couldn't
uncompress and load while entirely in RAM; also, any files written
by the application need to be somewhere on the disk as well).

I tried this route too (as well as the love game engine, the luv
package manager and probably others). For luapower I ended up doing it
the hard way though the gcc linker[1]. Luapower can now bundle all
kinds of files (Lua modules, dlls, static assets) on all platforms in
a fat exe. The fact all packages already come with static libs helps a
lot, otherwise I'd be back to square one like everybody else :)

[1] https://luapower.com/bundle