[leasbirds] September Update for the Hewetson:Kostecke Site Competition

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 14:35:25 -0500

Greetings All:

Rich Kostecke ended August with 136 species of bird at Devine Lake. Things
picked up a bit for the site (and for Rich) during September and he managed
to add eleven species (Lesser Yellowlegs, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Willow
Flycatcher, Mourning Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Warbling Vireo,
Yellow-breasted Chat, White-faced Ibis, Marbled Godwit, Great Horned Owl,
and Philadelphia Vireo) to his list, finishing out September with 147
species.

My Clapp Park site, on the other hand, slowed down a surprising amount
(given that September is usually the peak month for songbird migration in
our region) and I only added five species (Great Crested Flycatcher,
Western Sandpiper, Eastern Phoebe, Say's Phoebe, and Osprey) to my list
during the month. I had started off with a pretty good lead, though (at
165 by the end of August), and these five species brought me up to 170
species at my site for the year.

RK managed to work a twenty-nine species lead down a bit but he is going to
have to have a pretty good October-December to overtake AH - especially as
both sites are sporting enough water to make for an interesting late
fall/early winter.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock