[leasbirds] Crosby County/White River Lake

  • From: "Manuel T. De Leon" <leftyandpanchodog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 21:25:34 -0500

Went fishing this afternoon at White River Lake and stopped at the playa on
the intersection of FM 40 and FM 651. The playa was full of birds
especially with Wilson's Snipe. The breakdown is as follows:

25 Blue-winged Teal

21 Northern Shoveler

1 Pied-billed Grebe

2 Great Blue Heron

24 Cattle Egret

45 White-faced Ibis

2 Turkey Vulture

1 Swainson's Hawk

5 American Coot

6 Black-necked Stilt

3 American Avocet

23 Killdeer

11 Greater Yellowlegs

8 Lesser Yellowlegs

3 Least Sandpiper

14 Long-billed Dowitcher

115 Wilson's Snipe

2 Scissor-tailed Flycatcher

3 Horned Lark

15 Barn Swallow

1 Lark Sparrow

1 Savannah Sparrow

At the lake I saw the following (of course I was more focused on fishing
than birding but still had my eye to the water, the sky, and the trees:

1 Wood Duck

1 Great Blue Heron

40 Turkey Vulture (underestimated as they appear to roost on the east side
of the lake)

1 Ring-billed Gull

2 Belted Kingfisher

1 Rock Wren