[leasbirds] The Canyon Lakes of Lubbock - September Update

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 18:06:36 -0500

Greetings All:

My second game for the year (competing only against my self-set goals) is
to see how many species of butterfly, amphibian, reptile, bird, and mammal
I can find and photograph along Lubbock's Canyon Lakes - running from the
west loop to the east loop.

My goals for the year - 50 species of butterfly, 5 species of amphibian, 10
species of reptile, 200 species of bird, and 10 species of mammal - with
90%, overall, documented via photography.

September saw little in the way of progress, mostly because fall migration
has been, from post-breeding wanderers to migrant songbirds, very poor.
This, combined with a very poor spring migration, has probably busted my
chances of meeting the goal for birds ... unless we have a wild
autumn/early winter.

All in all, I picked up 32 species of butterfly, 0 species of amphibian, 5
species of reptile, 86 species of bird, and 9 species of mammal bringing my
totals for the year up to 45 species of butterfly (90%), 1 species of
amphibian (20%), 12 species of reptile (120%), 153 species of bird (77%%),
and 13 species of mammal (130%) for 2015.

Of these 224 critters, 182 species have been photographed (81%) so far this
year. It is beginning to look like it will be impossible to reach the goal
of 5 species of amphibian (no toads), very difficult to reach my goal of
200 species of bird (already addressed), and difficult to make it to 90%
photographed - but I'm going to keep on trying.

Here's hoping for a productive October!

The September list with new species for the year denoted with an * and
newly photographed species for the year denoted with a (y):

Funereal Duskywings*(y)
Common Checkered Skipper
Common Sootywings
Orange Skipperling*(y)