[GeoStL] Re: no stats?

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:35:48 -0500

-
I think they are talking about the stats at insidecorner. I think it's the
overall stats. In other words, the total for each individual. It becomes too
competitive is some peoples response. I don't agree with that. I think
having a total helps us set goals. We could keep personal totals but
apparently there are others who want to see the totals for everyone. I think
of the great BruceS and CCCooper race.. I like to watch them compete against
each other. It adds to the amusement.

Jeremy also mentioned that he was tired of people complaining about totals.
Some people have accused others of cheating to bump their numbers up and he
feels that Geocaching.com should not become a referee for who found what.

I like the SLAGA page. I like seeing totals, at least for myself, when I log
a cache. I also use it as a guage to see if I should go after a cache or
pass on it. If the cache has 4 nofinds and all 4 are from people with less
than 10 finds, I would give it a try. However, if the cache was not found by
experienced cachers, I might pass on it until it gets a find or there is
confirmation it's still there. This is just one of the many practical
applications I use with totals.

Mike