[GeoStL] Re: St. Louis County Park Closures

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <brawnybear@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 17:26:28 -0500

Actually, not all parks were purchased. Many were donated with specific
purposes. The buildings were built with taxpayer money. I would think that
if they had a trust or other legal deed to a donated park, they would have
to follow the wishes of the donator. In some cases, it would go to the state
and in other cases it might go back to the proper heirs.

I agree, they would close the gates but I think they would have to put no
trespassing signs up until they could figure out what to do with the land.
It could be as simple as selling the land to developers if the deed is
clear. That money would be used to offset other costs such as social
programs or road maintenance. If they do not have a clear deed on the land,
it will revert back to the person who donated it or whatever their wishes
are. They might choose to close the park for 2 years at which time they
could reconsider opening them again.

Mike Griffin

Brawny Bear

St. Charles, MO

Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 08:32:38 -0500
From: n0wnv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I guess if they (St Louis County) close the parks  I guess there will be no
trespassing and all the caches will have to come out of there and a lot of
unhappy cachers who search for them.

On 11/2/2011 6:05 AM, Dan Baldenweck wrote:

St. Louis County is proposing closing some parks because of a budgetary
shortfall.  The list includes some of the biggies:  West Tyson,
Greensfelder, Lone Elk, Simpson...and many more.

Here's a map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en
<http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&vpsrc=6&ctz=300&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=211
388461394182029991.0004b0b1e3d928ccdeb1d&t=m&ll=38.659778%2c-90.43396&spn=0.
53618%2c0.75531&z=10&source=embed>
&vpsrc=6&ctz=300&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=211388461394182029991.0004b0b1e3d928ccde
b1d&t=m&ll=38.659778,-90.43396&spn=0.53618,0.75531&z=10&source=embed