[GeoStL] Re: New Garmin Colorado GPS

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:14:31 -0600

-
Mike, actually there are two versions.  The other one is supposed to have
detailed 3-D (shaded) topo maps for the entire country instead of the marine
charts.  I hope my trail maps will work with it!

There has also been talk that it will support USGS Topo Maps and Aerial
photos.

This is the 400 version and there is also supposed to be a 300 version.  Not
sure when it will come out.  Garmin took info off their web site and Bass
Pro removed it from theirs.

This used to be on Garmin's site and is cached on google:

Take on the trails with Colorado 400t. This rugged, advanced handheld is
packed with detailed topographic maps for all your hiking adventures not to
mention 3-D map view, a high-sensitivity receiver, barometric altimeter,
electric compass, SD card slot, picture viewer and color display. Exchange
tracks, waypoints and geocaches wirelessly between other "buddy" units. When
the going gets tough, Colorado leads the way.

Explore Backcountry
Colorado's preloaded topographic maps, 3-D map view and a built-in worldwide
basemap with shaded relief give you all the tools for serious climbing or
hiking. Map detail includes national, state and local parks and forests,
along with terrain contours, elevation information, trails, rivers, lakes
and points of interest. Just in case you're wondering how steep that hill
really is, Colorado's 3-D map view helps you visualize your surroundings -
giving you a better perspective of the elevation.

Share Wirelessly
With Colorado 400t you can share your waypoints, tracks, routes and
geocaches wirelessly with other Colorado users. Now you can send your
favorite hike to your buddy to enjoy or the location of a cache to find.
Sharing data is easy. Just select "send" to transfer your information to
other Colorado units within a 3-meter range.

Rock on. Find Fun
Intuitive and fun, Colorado features a Rock 'n Roller input wheel for easy
one-handed operation and supports Geocaching.com GPX files for downloading
geocaches and detail straight to your unit. Even customize Colorado's
interface based on your favorite activity. Slim, lightweight and waterproof,
Colorado is the perfect companion for all your outdoor pursuits.

Keep Your Fix
With its high-sensitivity, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver, Colorado 400t locates
your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in
heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is clear - whether you're in
deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on Colorado
to help you find your way when you need it the most.

Get Your Bearings
Colorado 400t has a built-in electronic compass that provides bearing
information even while you're standing still, and its barometric altimeter
tracks changes in pressure to pinpoint your precise altitude. You can even
use the altimeter to plot barometric pressure over time, which can help you
keep an eye on changing weather conditions.

Plug in and Go
Adding maps is easier than ever with Colorado's SD card slot. Conveniently
plug in optional preloaded SD cards with MapSource data for your land and
sea excursions. Just insert a MapSource card with detailed street maps, and
Colorado provides turn-by-turn directions to your destination. The card slot
is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you don't have to
worry about getting it wet.

Colorado 400t: One tough handheld for all your outdoor pursuits.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"