[GeoStL] NGR: SD vs. CF

  • From: "Chris Binder" <cpbinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Geocaching Newsgroup" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 10:16:15 -0600

    I have a Dell Axim and I have a 256 MB Sandisk CompactFlash card. This
holds everything I want on it, but when I try and store music, the playback
gets really choppy. A few threads on www.aximsite.com say something about
CompactFlash not being fast enough and that SanDisk is an inferior brand. Is
this true? Would anyone hazard a guess to how fast CF cards are read?
    More posts on AximSite mention Secure Digital cards being faster than
CompactFlash because they were designed for music. Then they mention to not get
SanDisk either. I don't know if SanDisk cards are plagued by a shortage of
speed or if CompactFlash in general is just slow. I send an e-mail to SanDisk
support, I should get a response on either Monday or Tuesday.
    Does anyone have a Lexar 128 MB Secure Digital or CompactFlash card? If so,
are they fast enough to store and play MP3 files? Do they perform well?

~Chris