[GeoStL] Re: Great caching story.....

  • From: Eric & Dayna East <believer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 06:31:49 -0600

This is even better than Bruce @ Louisan Perches. LOL

Eric

       OzGuff found Best Friend Cache   Tuesday, December 09, 2003
       (Multi-cache)

       11:25pm The important thing is that I eventually found the
       cache. The rest is just gravy...

       I am in town for the week helping to train newer employees.
       I arrived at the hotel (Westport Plaza) at around 8:30pm.
       The weather outside was frighful, but I decided to take a
       cab to the Seibert Cave cache, do a few in that area, walk
       to Queeny Park to find the 4 there, and then call a cab to
       take me back to the hotel. Everything was going well--I
       found Seibert Cave, All Wound Up and Tatooine. (I struck
       out on Jeffrey's First.) As I strolled from the Tatooine
       area towards the Best Friend Cache area a car drove up
       behind me and flashing lights started flashing. Here is a
       rough approximation of the ensuing conversation:

       "Stop. What are you doing?"
       "I am just walking through the park."
       "Do you usually walk through parks at night in the rain?"
       "Well, no. I won't get lost; I have a GPSr. I am visiting
       from NC." (I actually showed him the GPSr, like that made
       it all right.)
       "Where are you going? Where did you come from?"
       "I took a cab from my hotel in Maryland Heights to
       Manchester and 141 (or is it 140) and have walked here from
       there. I was planning on walking through a few more parks
       before heading back to the hotel."
       "You are walking all the way back to your hotel?"
       "I was going to call a cab. This looks weirder than it is.
       I have identification."
       Silence.
       "OK--let me see your ID. Stand in front of the car."
       I handed over my ID and he went into his car. After 5
       minutes he emerged and returned my ID.
       "You need to exit the park as soon as possible. If you are
       going to call a cab the entrance you came in from (Weidman
       Street) is the best option. You should be able to find a
       business still open."
       "OK--I will head out now."
       He looked at me intently and then asked, "Are you
       geocaching?"
       I sheepishly said, "Maybe."
       "Geocaching isn't illegal in this park; I know about the
       caches in this park. What *is* illegal is being in this
       park at this time--that is called trespassing."
       "How do you know about geocaching?"
       "I have friends and coworkers that geocache."
       "Then you know that it can be pretty obsessive."
       "Yes."
       "Do you think I could exit the park through the Mason Drive
       exit?"
       "Are you going to try to find the cache over there by the
       dog museum?"
       I sheepishly answered, "Maybe."
       After a moments thought he said, "Well, don't tarry."
       I shook his hand, thanked him, and headed off in the rain
       to find the cache.

       Great location for a cache! TNLNSL TFTC! This story will be
       told and retold! Geocaching is great!!

       P.S. I actually thought about trying to find the Bouncing
       Around Queeny and Pirates' Treasures caches, but figured
       getting caught a second time would be a bad thin