[GeoStL] Re: Great caching story.....

  • From: Bernie <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 14:57:25 -0600

-
 Now that is a dedicated cacher.  Bernie

GC-RGS wrote:

OzGuff <http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=ec4dcdb3-0d7d-40c8-bb99-3ef14b211221> found Best Friend Cache (Multi-cache) <http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=bf67390c-4c3e-4355-a50e-6db22f4e7ab9> Tuesday, December 09, 2003

11:25pm The important thing is that I eventually found the cache. The rest is just gravy...

I am in town for the week helping to train newer employees. I arrived at the hotel (Westport Plaza) at around 8:30pm. The weather outside was frighful, but I decided to take a cab to the Seibert Cave cache, do a few in that area, walk to Queeny Park to find the 4 there, and then call a cab to take me back to the hotel. Everything was going well--I found Seibert Cave, All Wound Up and Tatooine. (I struck out on Jeffrey's First.) As I strolled from the Tatooine area towards the Best Friend Cache area a car drove up behind me and flashing lights started flashing. Here is a rough approximation of the ensuing conversation:

"Stop. What are you doing?"
"I am just walking through the park."
"Do you usually walk through parks at night in the rain?"
"Well, no. I won't get lost; I have a GPSr. I am visiting from NC." (I actually showed him the GPSr, like that made it all right.)
"Where are you going? Where did you come from?"
"I took a cab from my hotel in Maryland Heights to Manchester and 141 (or is it 140) and have walked here from there. I was planning on walking through a few more parks before heading back to the hotel."
"You are walking all the way back to your hotel?"
"I was going to call a cab. This looks weirder than it is. I have identification."
Silence.
"OK--let me see your ID. Stand in front of the car."
I handed over my ID and he went into his car. After 5 minutes he emerged and returned my ID.
"You need to exit the park as soon as possible. If you are going to call a cab the entrance you came in from (Weidman Street) is the best option. You should be able to find a business still open."
"OK--I will head out now."
He looked at me intently and then asked, "Are you geocaching?"
I sheepishly said, "Maybe."
"Geocaching isn't illegal in this park; I know about the caches in this park. What *is* illegal is being in this park at this time--that is called trespassing."
"How do you know about geocaching?"
"I have friends and coworkers that geocache."
"Then you know that it can be pretty obsessive."
"Yes."
"Do you think I could exit the park through the Mason Drive exit?"
"Are you going to try to find the cache over there by the dog museum?"
I sheepishly answered, "Maybe."
After a moments thought he said, "Well, don't tarry."
I shook his hand, thanked him, and headed off in the rain to find the cache.

Great location for a cache! TNLNSL TFTC! This story will be told and retold! Geocaching is great!!

P.S. I actually thought about trying to find the Bouncing Around Queeny and Pirates' Treasures caches, but figured getting caught a second time would be a bad thin