[GeoStL] Re: Geocaching in the snow

  • From: Dan Henke <thunder_monk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 06:49:39 -0800 (PST)

-
Just one question:  Even if you are following
footprints in the snow How do you know whether that
person found the cache?....I personally use every clue
that I can find to help locate some of these elusive
caches but most of the time I am looking too closely
at my GPSR to notice footprints etc....but while we
are at it then I have never seen a cache yet unless it
was brand new that did not have at least a small sign
of previuos cachers.....several of mine have been
there for 6 or so months (maybe more I am not sure
this early in the morning) and there are trails (very
faint but definite) leading to those caches....Bruce
said at the last picnic that to locate a cache he
doesn't look for the cache itself but rather for
things out of place....piles of sticks that are
unnatural etc....I guess this would also include faint
trails or signs of previous cachers......If you want
an absolutely clean cache with no signs leading to it
you had better be first on all of them

Just my 2 cents worth but something to think about

Dan (Thunder)