[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanning software

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:03:38 -0600

Correct,  text cloner is a toy for painstakingly deciphering unimportant
mail not for reading books.  The scan of several pages I tried were
utterly unreadable.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

"Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
12/13/2004 06:37 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

"bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanning software

I don't know of anybody who has tried text cloner recently. I do recall
Guido saying in the past that he tried it and his results were very poor.
As others have suggested, you might try Abbyy Fine Reader. Omnipage 14 is
also said to work with screen readers.  And I think it might be a tad less
expensive than the Abbyy product, but also has a highly rated ocr engine.
Mary