[bksvol-discuss] Re: scanner buying advice

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 20:39:16 -0500

I think I know what she is referring to in respect to the 1260. I have one but don't currently use it because it is so frigging slow, but the autorun file that kicks in when you load the CD puts the user in a screen that allows you to install drivers, software, etc. Unfortunately, the screen is graphics based and doesn't talk or provide any usable output. The way around this is to use either the file from Epson's web site, which is actually a better choice as they're newer drivers anyway, or to load the CD, exit the setup screen, browse to the CD in Explorer, switch to the drivers folder, and run the executable found there. The setup programs in the sub folders talk fine, it's just the one that autoruns that stinks.

Dave

At 07:27 PM 1/7/2008, you wrote:
To be clear, I cannot make sense of what I think I'm hearing. It sounds to me as if it's your computer that's having problems. You have two different scanners each of which has problems with the machine. I have no knowlege about Dells whatsoever. Nevertheless, I have just downloaded the driver files from the Epson site. They are in an executable file which self-extracts to a specific folder. After that, it either runs automatically or you have to go to the folder and run the setup program. If you want the file, I'd be happy to send it to you as an attachment. I'd call Paul just in case he has an idea and he comes on after 2:00 P.M., EST.
Sincerest Good Wishes, and let me know if you want the file.

Btw, Nick knows much more than I do, but, just in case, did you connect to the front or back of the computer, what operating system do you use?
----- Original Message ----- From: "Siobhan" <littlesailorgirl@xxxxxxxxxxx>