[bksvol-discuss] Re: our commitment to you: from Jim Fruchterman and Betsy Beaumon

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 07:08:36 -0700

Hi Emily,

I agree with you that we need to expand with Bookshare.  That because we
believe in the organization and its goals we can best be helpful by doing
what we are asked to do when that is the most helpful thing.  Can't
self-satisfaction, and by this I mean enjoying what we do, go hand in hand
with working for a common goal?

I truly believe in the premise of Bookshare.  And I enjoy the part I play.
I am willing to expand the help I can offer. Are you saying that because I
enjoy scanning and proofreading a lot that I should be ashamed of that?

I agree that Bookshare isn't about me or my particular contribution.  I'm
not volunteering to stroke my ego.  But I do appreciate that what I enjoy
can be helpful or useful to others.  Is that a bad thing?  I want to be a
help and not a hinderance.  Am I just being hypersensitive to what you're
saying?

Are you saying that it's okay to enjoy what we do, as long as we don't pitch
fits if what we do isn't what's needed any more?

I don't know why I'm finding this so confusing and a bit distressing all of
a sudden.  Am I wrong in thinking that offering books that I enjoy reading
before publishers do is somehow a selfish thing if I don't mind my
contributions being replaced when other copies of potentially better quality
are offered along with thousands of other titles.  I have always thought
that as long as someone can enjoy what I offer that's a good thing, however
long my contribution lasts.  Is that a selfish attitude?

I hate to do this to the list, belabour a point, but I thought I ought to
clarify.  I'm not sure why.

Sorry if I'm belabouring the point.  Shutting up now.

Mayrie

  _____