[bksvol-discuss] Re: our commitment to you: from Jim Fruchterman and Betsy Beaumon

  • From: "Dan Beaver" <dbeaver888@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 09:07:41 -0400

Hi,

I am sure my post will get me slammed by some.  However, it appears to me that
a little perspective setting may be needed.

I have heard a few acceptances from volunteers concerning the  new changes at
Bookshare.  I have however also read many posts from folks who seem to think
the goal of Bookshare is to provide a volunteer experience to suit each
volunteers private wishes.

I wish to bring back to everyone's minds the fact that Bookshare is in
existence to provide books in accessible formats to all print disabled peoples.
 This must occur regardless of the wishes of any volunteer.  If you wish to
volunteer so you can receive praise for your efforts then perhaps you should
find another organization.

I have been with Bookshare for a few years now and every change I have seen
occur at Bookshare has been one that enhances the progress of providing
accessible books.  As volunteers we must be prepared to meet changes in the
needs and efforts of Bookshare.  We must be prepared to learn new techniques
and processes so we can continue to help in the effort or else the progress
will slow and eventually die.

Please, do not take this as criticism but as a word of warning.  If we
volunteers stop our efforts then the rich variety of books that Bookshare has
to offer will over time cease to be varied and become simply what the
publishers provide.  We need to continue to look for books that we or others
may take delight in so that all tastes can be met.

I pray that all volunteers will consider that technologies and methodologies
will change over time and as intelligent individuals we must learn new things
or stagnate.

Dan Beaver