[bksvol-discuss] ot Fw: Margaret Truman dies

  • From: "Louise" <bookscanner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Bookshare Volunteers" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 17:37:34 -0400

: Margaret Truman dies
: Reuters
: Reuters - 1 hour 1 minute ago
:
: CHICAGO (Reuters) - Margaret Truman Daniel, the only child of former
: U.S. President
: Harry Truman who was known for her series of
: crime
: novels, died on Tuesday in Chicago at age 83, the Truman Library said.
:
: Daniel, a long-time resident of New York City who had a brief singing
: career, died in a care facility from complications from an infection, the
: library
: in Independence, Missouri, said in a statement.
:
: She had been brought to Chicago to be closer to her son Clifton, one of
her
: four children, a library spokeswoman said.
:
: "Margaret was an extraordinary individual. Her legacy is as much a part of
: this presidential library as her parents', and we are extremely grateful
for
: her many contributions. All of us at the Truman Library and Truman Library
: Institute extend our deepest condolences to her family," said Michael
: Devine,
: the library's director.
:
: She figured in one of the most famous presidential letters in history.
After
: Washington Post
: music
: critic Paul Hume panned one of her vocal recitals, Truman fired off a
letter
: from the White House calling the review "poppycock."
:
: "Some day I hope to meet you," the then-President wrote to the critic.
"When
: that happens you'll need a new nose."