[bksvol-discuss] Re: ot Fw: Margaret Truman dies

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 21:44:57 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for letting us know. It wasn't on the google
news when I went online before.

I haven't read any of her mystery novels--when I
mentioned that to a bookstore patron she said they
weren't that good--but I validated First Ladies, her
biographies of presidents' wives and interestin
personal facts about their husbands, and it is very
well-written, with humorous and personal asides. After
reading it, I felt as if I knew her.

G.Cindy

--- Louise <bookscanner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> : Margaret Truman dies
> : Reuters
> : Reuters - 1 hour 1 minute ago
> :
> : CHICAGO (Reuters) - Margaret Truman Daniel, the
> only child of former
> : U.S. President
> : Harry Truman who was known for her series of
> : crime
> : novels, died on Tuesday in Chicago at age 83, the
> Truman Library said.
> :
> : Daniel, a long-time resident of New York City who
> had a brief singing
> : career, died in a care facility from complications
> from an infection, the
> : library
> : in Independence, Missouri, said in a statement.
> :
> : She had been brought to Chicago to be closer to
> her son Clifton, one of
> her
> : four children, a library spokeswoman said.
> :
> : "Margaret was an extraordinary individual. Her
> legacy is as much a part of
> : this presidential library as her parents', and we
> are extremely grateful
> for
> : her many contributions. All of us at the Truman
> Library and Truman Library
> : Institute extend our deepest condolences to her
> family," said Michael
> : Devine,
> : the library's director.
> :
> : She figured in one of the most famous presidential
> letters in history.
> After
> : Washington Post
> : music
> : critic Paul Hume panned one of her vocal recitals,
> Truman fired off a
> letter
> : from the White House calling the review
> "poppycock."
> :
> : "Some day I hope to meet you," the then-President
> wrote to the critic.
> "When
> : that happens you'll need a new nose."

at